There are a lot of people who would give a lot to increase their metabolism. Having a high metabolic rate will enable you to burn fat and lose weight faster without starving yourself in the process. Simply put it is the rate by which the body produces and consumes energy and calories to support life. So it stands to reason that a higher metabolic rate will help your body burn fat faster.
So, how do I get a faster metabolism?
There are several factors that affect your metabolic rate, such as the amount of muscle tissue, the frequency of the meals you consume, genetics, stress levels, personal diet and activity levels. Your metabolic rate slows down due to the following three factors:
- loss of muscle because of not enough physical activity
- the tendency of the body to cannibalize its own tissue because there is not enough food energy to sustain it
- and the decrease of physical activity that comes naturally with old age.
Below are my sure fire tips to rev up your metabolism:
1. Build up your lean body mass. It is only natural that metabolic rate declines with age, but it is possible to counter the effects. The amount of muscle a person has is a very strong determinant in the ability to burn calories and shed fat. So it goes without saying that exercise is essential. Build strength and tone by working out at least twice a week, preferably with weights. Do easy exercises in between workouts. Simple tasks such as walking the dog and using the stairs in place of the elevator can already take off calories. The key is to match the amount of eating to the amount of activity you do.
Here are some guidelines in getting the right exercise:
For strength training
-Increase the amount of repetitions of a particular exercise.
-Increase the level of resistance or add more weight -Utilize advanced exercise techniques if possible
For cardiovascular training
-Insert intervals between exercises -Perform cross-training and combine the exercises -Increase the level of resistance and/ or speed
2. Eat breakfast. A lot of people are ignoring the fact that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Surprisingly, the ones who eat breakfast are thinner than the ones who do not. Your metabolic rate can slow down considerably if breakfast is taken during mid-morning or if you wait until the afternoon to eat.
3. Avoid simple sugars. Sugar enables the body to store fat. It is recommended that a person consumes food that helps sustain an even level of blood-sugar. Additionally, progressive execerise 2-3 times a week has been shown to stabilize blood sugar.
4. Eat spicy foods. Hot cuisine with peppers can increase metabolism.
5. Sleep more. According to research, it is riskier for people who do not get enough sleep to gain weight. Also, muscles are regenerated during the last couple of hours of slumber. Try to get eight hours of sleep per night.
6. Increase your water intake. Water flushes out toxins that are produced whenever the body burns fat. The majority of bodily functions involve water and lack of water causes the body system’s operations to decrease its speed and this produces unneeded stress as a result. If the body cannot flush out these toxins they end up being stored in the fat cells, cellulite anyone?
7. Eat smaller meals. Try to eat 4 to 6 small meals per day that are timed 2 to 3 hours apart. The body burns calories while it’s digesting food. By eating 4-6 means containing a lean protein, a starchy carb and a fibrous carb such as poached salmon, baked potato and broccoli your metabolism will be boosted longer throughout the day
8. Never skip meals. People tend to skip meals in order to lose weight, this is a big mistake since it slows down metabolism.
9. Plan meals in advance. If you plan your meals ahead of time you will always know you will be able to eat something supportive of your goals. Try to take a healthy snack in to work such as an apple and a handful of almonds so you don’t rely on the vending machine when you get hungry mid-morning. Do not commit the mistake of eating meals in sporadic patterns.
9. Chill out! Stress, be it physical or emotional, triggers the release of a hormone called cortisol. This hormone also breaks down muscle tissue which is the last thing you want if weight loss is your goal. Also, people tend to eat excessively when stressed.
10. Switch to green tea. It can be used as a substitute for coffee. Tea has the ability to stimulate metabolism and unlike coffee, it has no undesirable side effects when too much is consumed.
11. Include more energy foods in the diet. Foods such as fruits and vegetables, beans and whole grains.
Achieving the desired body weight is never impossible if you have the determination and patience needed to stabilize your metabolism level, which plays an important role in weight loss. Eating right and working out is not just a passing fancy, but should be a way of life.
Train Hard, Eat Smart!
- Boost Metabolism
- Burn Calories
- Calories Fat
- Cardiovascular Training
- Cross Training
- Exercise Techniques
- Fire Tips
- Food Energy
- High Metabolic Rate
- Increase Metabolism
- Lean Body Mass
- Muscle Tissue
- Personal Diet
- Physical Activity
- Rate Declines
- Several Factors
- Strength Training
- Stress Levels